Usage on The Web Browser
WinSpy Driver Selection
WinSpy assists with path-related operations on a Windows application. It enables users to obtain the location (XPath) information of the fields to perform operations like writing a text on the desired area of an application, getting data from the desired area, clicking on the desired areas or taking a screenshot of whole screen and a part of it.
1. Double-click the winSpy.exe file to open WinSpy.
2. Click Settings > Driver > Chrome.
Access to Web Browser
3. In this scenario, we will open a Youtube page and will perform a search operation using WinSpy on Youtube page.
4. In the WinSpy application, type or copy-paste the Youtube URL (https://youtube.com) information into the Address textbox.
5. Click the Run button next to the Address textbox to start operations.
6. After clicking on the button, WinSpy opens a new Chrome page different from the opened Chrome page and enters the Youtube page. Thus, WinSpy connection is established with the Youtube page.
7. As you can see in the picture below, the page tags are listed as a tree view on the left. When you click on an element from there, the information of that element appears in the Information field. The location information corresponding to the data is automatically found by WinSpy and displayed in the XPath Result fields. Both information can be used in Robusta RPA. Robusta recommends the Relative Path information for your cases.
7-a. Alternatively, click on the Inspect button to find the XPath information for the selected element. WinSpy will focus on the page. Hover your cursor on the element you want to interact with and give a moment to WinSpy until it detects the element automatically. WinSpy will focus on itself when it finds the XPath information. Meanwhile, the element under the cursor will be displayed in yellow.
8. Click the Inspect button to find the XPath of the selected element and it directs you to the page.
9. Hover over the element and wait for 2-3 second (it may take a longer than 2-3 seconds).
10. The information of the relevant element will automatically come to the Relative Path field.
11. If the element is textbox, an element where text can be written, the control of location information can be made by typing a word in the Try It field. Type the text in Try It field. Then, click the Set Text button. WinSpy writes the text to the relevant field on the browser.
12. Since we want to search Robusta on Youtube, click the Inspect button again and hover over the Search button and wait for 2-3 seconds to obtain the XPath of the desired element.
13. If the relevant element is a button, an element that can be clicked, you can control the location information. Click the Click button in the Try It field on the WinSpy.
14. Thus, we performed a search operation on Youtube via WinSpy.
17. The XPath information found manually can be checked on WinSpy. Type or copy-paste XPath information found manually in the XPath field and click the Test button to control the information.
Scrap data from a web page
If you want to scrap a table from a web page, table XPath information can be found via WinSpy.
1. Click the Scrap button to scrap a table on WinSpy.
2. You will see the First Header and the Second Header fields on the Scrap window. Click the “…” button next to the First Header field.
3. Hover over the first header element for 2-3 seconds and repeat the same process for the second header field..
4. After founding XPath information of two headers, click the Next button.
5. Click the “…” button next to the First Column field
6. Hover over the first column area for 2-3 seconds and repeat the same process for the second column.
7. After founding XPath information of first and second columns, click on the Next button.
8. Last, you should select the XPath information for the first and second rows in this step.
9. Click the “…” button next to the First Row field.
10. Hover over the first row area for 2-3 seconds and repeat the same process for the second row.
11. Click the Finish button.
12. After finishing all the steps correctly, XPath information of the relevant Table will be displayed on the Result Step window.